VLC streaming is one of the many options of VLC. Audio streaming, video streaming and other media streaming belong to these streaming options. With a VLC stream you can easily stream files in the same local network. This means that one computer serves as a server, this is the computer that broadcasts the vlc stream and therefore acts like a distribution channel. One or more other computers which are situated within the same local network act like a client, these are the computers receiving the vlc streaming. In this way you can stream radio, for example, with VLC. Stream radio very easily with VLC, in this way other computers within your local network can receive the live radio stream as well. Also other vlc streaming, for instance audio streaming and media streaming, is possible with VLC Media Player.
The advantage of streaming with vlc is that you don’t have to interrupt the reproduction because other files need to be downloaded first. For the rest, the file which will be streamed doesn’t have to be live at all. You can also stream files which are recorded earlier.
Another advantage of vlc media streaming is the fact that you can play your files immediately. Like said before, it isn’t necessary to download files with the vlc stream. Often it isn’t possible to download large files. In this particular case, vlc streaming is an ideal alternative. First, as it happens, a smaller part of the file will be downloaded and buffered directly. You can watch or listen to this part already. Meanwhile the rest of the file is to be downloaded. In this case you’ll never have to wait for your streamed files!
Do you also want to stream files and watch them directly in VLC Media Player? Stream vlc by following the next steps. Have fun watching or listening!
1. Getting to know the IP address from the receiving computers
To receive a stream it is important that the computer which broadcasts the stream has your IP address. This way you can get your IP address:
At the client (receiving computer):
- Go to Start –> Execute. If you cannot find Execute at the option Start type ‘Execute in the search bar.
When the option Execute appears then click on the option
- Type ‘Execute’ and then ‘CMD’ and click ‘OK’
- Then a black screen appears. Type here ‘ipconfig’ and click on ‘Enter’
- Then a couple of lines appear of which you should copy the numbers after IPv4-adres. So for example 192.123.111
- Pass this IP address on to the computer that has to broadcast the stream
2.To accomplish the stream
Now the IP address is known, the server can enter the settings for streaming to prepare the stream.
Follow the steps below:
At the server (computer that broadcasts the stream):
- Open VLC
- Go to Media –> Stream
- Then a pop-up appears. Click on the button ‘Add’ and add the file that you want to stream
- When the file is added correctly the file appears in the pop-up. Then click at the bottom left ‘show more options’ and then at the bottom right on ‘Stream’
- A screen appears with the title ‘Stream output’. In the screen click on the button ‘Next’
- Then you get a new screen. Make sure you tick:
Then choose below the dropdown menu behind ‘New destination’ the option ‘UDP Legacy’ and ‘Add’
At the option ‘Profile’ you can choose in which way you want to stream the file
> Do you want to stream the file as video: choose ‘Video – H.264 + AAC (MP4)’
> Do you want to stream the file as audio: choose ‘Audio – MP3′
Then choose ‘Stream’
Now the stream starts on your computer
When you have done this, fill in the IP address in the bar from the receiving computer (the address from step 1)
The gate remains 1234.
3. Receiving the stream
The computer that broadcasts the stream now has the correct settings. To receive the stream on the receiving computer follow the steps below:
- Open VLC
- Go to Media –> Open Network Stream
Then type in the bar below ‘Please enter a network URL’ the following:
After IPADDRESS appears your Ip address
After gate the gate number which the server chose will appear (default: 1234)
Then choose ‘Play’ and the will be broadcasted on your computer!